Monday, July 1, 2013

let the little children come unto Me

Halfway through the summer! I can't decide whether it feels like it's been a month or not. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Today, I feel like I could go forever, but yesterday I slept for the whole afternoon and woke up to a massive thunderstorm and I just felt very, very tired. Still, God is faithful. 

I've been thinking about being a vessel... my campers this week ask a lot of questions and one of them was about the potter and the clay verse. I'm learning that life is not about my personality, my weaknesses, my mood swings, anything... Jesus Christ lives within me, and I hinder Him from blessing others through this vessel, my body, when I insist on my way, in whatever shape that takes. I am a vessel of Christ's love and sacrificial service. Nothing I do and nothing I say should be me. It is Him.

Children teach me so much. Their simple faith, their trust, the way they forgive and love each other. I love the light in their eyes when they understand, I love their little hands painting a rock or covered in marker after painstakingly coloring a picture. 

They call me "Teacher" instead of "Miss Sarah" this week. Not sure why. Jesus is our Teacher and Master. My kids look up expectantly at the sound of my voice. They wait for the next thing I will say with great eagerness (especially if it's canoeing day). They jump to obey because they know that I know what's best for them and I know what I have planned next in their day. One of them said yesterday, "You are like God, Teacher. You love us and we obey you and we get closer every day."  

Lord, you overwhelm me with what you teach me through a lisping, 5-year-old voice. Let me be obedient and trusting with you like these little kids are with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment